Hello! I’m Elaine Fernandez. In addition to general freelance photography, I offer portrait services at my rustic home studio in Rhinebeck or on location. I’m also available on commission for other services and am happy to travel. Please contact me HERE for questions or rates.
Elaine Fernandez. Freelance Photographer & Foodie based in New York.
A Brief History of My Career & Experience:
- My career began in human services with the Kingston Cares project, a community-based collaboration designed to strengthen high-risk neighborhoods through mobilization and strategic planning.
- Around the same time, I co-founded, published, and edited The Citizen, a monthly civic magazine that examined the impact of national issues on the Hudson Valley Region of New York. You can find samples HERE.
- This led to my appointment as a Legislative Analyst for the New York State Assembly’s Standing Committee on Social Services (and later the Senate’s), where I spent a significant amount of time researching, writing, and assessing social policy initiatives.
- I left the Legislature and spent a year traveling the state to interview people about the impact of the recession on their economic well-being. Thirty-five short video interviews were posted on a Vlog created for this purpose. Titles can be found HERE.
- When I returned to the Hudson Valley, I worked in both state and local government. I also became involved with a local playhouse, which led to the creation of Hudson Valley Playwrights, a thriving lab for established and aspiring playwrights. As founder and director, I marketed and produced dozens of short plays developed in the lab, including a few of my own. Photos from lab sessions, staged readings, and full productions can be found HERE.
- I am currently working on my own writing projects and am thoroughly enjoying life!
- Community and artistic endeavors featured in the Daily Freeman, Kingston Times, Poughkeepsie Journal, River Chronicle, WAMC’S The Roundtable, Pacifica Radio, Marist Radio, WKNY Radio, and Trinity Broadcast.
- Outstanding Community Service: “Heroes In Our Backyard.” Kingston Cares project, Kingston, New York.
- AmeriCorps VISTA
- Certified Instructor, Adult Basic Literacy and English as a Foreign Language
Volunteerism & Memberships (past & present)
- Dramatists Guild of America
- Women’s Enterprise Development Center Planning Committee
- Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley Grants Committee
- WKZE Listener Advisory Board
- Independent & Foreign Film
- Wildlife Conservation