Hello! I’m Elaine Fernandez. I’m available for a wide range of projects, with experience in producing, planning, organizing, and administration. I also have a small photography studio, portable equipment, and a powerful Canon EOS with great lenses, which I often incorporate into my work. You can find samples HERE.
Elaine Fernandez. Freelance Professional Based in New York.
Contact me HERE.
My Eclectic Career:
- My career began in human services with the Kingston Cares project, a community-based collaboration designed to strengthen high-risk neighborhoods through education, mobilization and prevention.
- I merged my experience in human services with my media training and co-founded The Citizen, a monthly civic magazine that examined the impact of national issues in the Hudson Valley region of New York. You can find samples HERE.
- A dedicated and unbiased section for local legislative input led to my appointment as a Legislative Analyst for the New York State Assembly’s Standing Committee on Social Services (and later the Senate’s), where I spent a significant amount of time reviewing, assessing, and making recommendations for State funded social policy initiatives.
- When I left the Legislature, I spent a year traveling across the state to interview people about the impact of the recent recession on their economic well-being and subsequently produced thirty-five short video interviews on a Vlog created for this purpose.
- When I returned back home to the Hudson Valley, I ran for local office and worked in both state and municipal government. During that time I also rekindled an old passion and became involved with the local playhouse, which led to the creation of Hudson Valley Playwrights, a thriving lab for established and aspiring playwrights.
- As founder and director of the lab, I marketed and produced dozens of short plays developed in the workshops, including a few of my own. Photos from lab sessions, staged readings, and full productions can be found HERE.
- I left public service to pursue a freelance career in 2020. I love using my multi-faceted experience as a free agent and enjoy the challenge of new projects.
- Community and artistic endeavors featured in the Daily Freeman, Kingston Times, Poughkeepsie Journal, River Chronicle, WAMC’S The Roundtable, Pacifica Radio, Marist Radio, WKNY Radio, and Trinity Broadcast.
- Outstanding Community Service: “Heroes In Our Backyard.” Kingston Cares project, Kingston, New York.
- AmeriCorps VISTA
- Certified Instructor, Adult Basic Literacy and English as a Foreign Language
Volunteerism & Memberships (past & present)
- Dramatists Guild of America
- Women’s Enterprise Development Center, Planning Committee
- Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley, Grants Committee
- WKZE Listener Advisory Board
- Community theatre
- Healthy living
- Wildlife conservation